William F. Hunter was a member of the Law faculty when he was appointed to serve as Dean in the summer of 1893. He was the first full-time Dean and faculty member who led the College during its difficult, formative years. During his tenure, the Law department was established as a College by the University Board of Trustees in 1896, and the College joined the newly-formed Association of American Law Schools as a charter member in 1901. He oversaw the College's move to a permanent home on campus in 1903 with the construction and opening of Page Hall, which housed the College of Law for the next six decades.
College of Law Deans
Marshall J. Williams, 1891-1893*
William F. Hunter, 1893-1904**
Joseph P. Outhwaite, 1905-1907
George W. Rightmire, 1908-1909 (Acting)
John J. Adams, 1909-1926
Alonzo H. Tuttle, 1926-1928 (Acting)***
Herschel W. Arant, 1928-1939
Arthur T. Martin, 1940-1946****
Harry W. Vanneman, 1946-1947 (Acting)
Jefferson B. Fordham, 1947-1952
Frank R. Strong, 1952-1965
Ivan C. Rutledge, 1965-1970
James C. Kirby, 1970-1974
L. Orin Slagle, Jr., 1974-1978
James E. Meeks, 1978-1985
Francis X. Beytagh, 1985-1993
Gregory H. Williams, 1993-2001
Nancy Hardin Rogers, 2001-2008
Alan C. Michaels, 2008-2019
Lincoln L. Davies, 2019-
*Ohio Supreme Court Justice Marshall J. Williams was the first dean, serving on a part-time basis without compensation.
**Judge William F. Hunter was the College's first full-time dean, appointed in 1893.
***Professor Alonzo Tuttle served as acting dean from 1926 until illness forced him to step down in 1928. Professor Clarence Laylin then served as acting dean from May 9, 1928 until the end of the year.
****Professors Arthur T. Martin, Silas A Harris and Robert E. Matthews served briefly as acting deans, 1939-1940, following Dean Arant's departure to serve on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Moritz Law Library 3rd floor Reading Room
Portraits of the former Deans of the College are displayed around the perimeter of the Moritz Law Library's 3rd floor Reading Room. The earliest portrait in the collection is of Dean William F. Hunter, who served as the College's first full-time dean from 1893 until 1904. There is no portrait of Dean Outhwaite who served briefly as dean from 1905 until his death in 1907. The two most recent portraits in the collection are of Deans Gregory H. Williams (1993-2001) and Nancy Hardin Rogers (2001-2008).
Marshall J. Williams* (no portrait)
William F. Hunter
Joseph P. Outhwaite (no portrait)
George W. Rightmire
Acting Dean, 1908-1909
John J. Adams
Alonzo H. Tuttle**
Acting Dean, 1926-1928
Herschel W. Arant
Arthur T. Martin
Harry W. Vanneman
Acting Dean, 1946-1947
Jefferson B. Fordham
Frank R. Strong
Ivan C. Rutledge
James C. Kirby
L. Orin Slagle, Jr.
James E. Meeks
Francis X. Beytagh
Gregory H. Williams
Nancy Hardin Rogers
*No portrait is available for Supreme Court Justice Marshall J. Williams who served as the College's first dean on a part-time basis from 1891 until 1893.
**A large portrait of Professor Alonzo H. Tuttle, who served as acting dean from 1926-1928, is displayed separately on the 3rd floor, across from the study room corridor. Professor Tuttle's portrait was commissioned and donated to the College in his honor by his students.